Thursday, September 7, 2017

Repetition

This week the children in New York went back to school. In my training as a schoolteacher, I learned that repetition is essential to learning. I have read studies showing that a child of average to bright intelligence needs a minimum of 500 repetitions in order to learn a fact.

God, who created us, knew that, so He instructed parents to continually repeat His commandments to their children in every possible setting:

Courtesy Google.com
A young mother, listening to a missionary, remarked on how wonderful it must be to be the first one to tell someone about Jesus.

The missionary responded, "As a mother, you have that opportunity with your own children."

Have you ever thought about what a privilege it is that God entrusts parents with the awesome responsibility of teaching our children about Him and His love?

As parents, we need to look for and capitalize on every "teachable moment" to communicate biblical values to our children.

I still remember the times when as a child I got hurt doing something I had been told not to do, and my mother would wipe away my tears and soothe my booboos as she quoted Numbers 32:23:

"Be sure your sins will find you out."

As she taught me to ask Jesus to forgive me too, I learned that disobedience has consequences--in this life and in eternity. How thankful I am for that early teaching. It has saved me from many heartaches.

Courtesy Google.com
Research also demonstrates that children learn more by observing their parents' lives informally every day than by formal education. Vacations, holidays, and special occasions present wonderful opportunities for creating family traditions and "teachable moments" that communicate our Christian values. This is especially true because the emotion of the occasion will heighten learning. 

What do our celebrations say to our children concerning spiritual truths? Why not establish family traditions that teach truth and and fun at the same time?

What do our everyday actions and attitudes teach our children about God? Do we just send them to religious instruction or do we take them with us to church, thus demonstrating the importance of God in our adult life?

Do we keep spiritual reminders and Scripture plaques around the house?

Do our expectations and discipline of our children demonstrate to them the Father love of God?

As school gets under way again, let's look for memorable ways to
instill biblical values in our children's lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment