Thursday, June 21, 2018

How Big Is God?

Growing up in Alaska, surrounded by majestic, snow-capped mountains, massive glaciers, towering evergreens where bald eagles nested, and often treacherous seas teeming with salmon, halibut, and whales, I thrilled to experience God's magnificent creation.
Mendenhall Glacier Juneau, Alaska
Courtesy Google.com

During the long winter nights, the stars and the aurora borealis seemed so close I could reach out and touch them. During the almost nightless summer days, I climbed the mountain that hovered above our town, rowed a dinghy across the blue waters of the inlet, picked the abundant blue and salmon-colored berries and riots of wildflowers, or rode my bike along boardwalks or winding roads.

As I studied science in school, I learned how vast the universe is. In Sunday school, I learned that our great God created it all. In fact, the first verse in the Bible tells us that the God of the Bible is our great Creator.

Earth from space Courtesy Google.com
The very word God (Elohim in Hebrew) speaks of might and power. Elohim is the plural form. Often, in order to emphasize the fact that He is the one true God, the definite article, "the" (in Hebrew, ha), is used. Some believe the plural to be the plural of majesty. Others take it to mean that all that is deity, all that is divine, is summed up in Him and is found only in Him. Certainly, both are true. There is no other Creator.

Today, when many are turning to false cults and eclectic philosophies, we need to remember there is no salvation in any other. He alone loved the world enough to send His uniquely begotten Son to make a way of salvation.

To those who pray to a god that cannot save, our Creator-God says, "There is no God [Elohim] besides Me; a just God and a Savior; there is none besides Me" (Isaiah 45:20, 21). God calls to us saying, "Look to Me, and be saved, all you ends of the earth! For I am God, and there is no other" (v. 22). And He alone has the ability to empower us by His Spirit today to do His will.

In the Billy Graham Crusades of my youth, George Beverly Shea used to sing so powerfully, "How Big Is God?" And I loved to sing it as a solo too.

Though man may strive to go beyond the reef of space;
To crawl beyond the distant glimmering stars.
This world's a room so small within my Master's house;
The open sky but a portion of His yard.
How big is God? 
How big and wide His vast domain?
To try to tell these lips can only start.
He's big enough to rule His mighty universe,
Yet small enough to live within my heart.

Does He live in your heart too?

NOTE: I'm taking a month-long vacation from blogging. I'll be back to writing in August. In the meantime, you may enjoy reading my books, available in trade paperback and e-book formats for all e-readers.. They may be purchased through my website, www.annaleeconti.com or at Amazon.com or Barnes & Noble or iTunes.





                    

No comments:

Post a Comment