Thursday, January 21, 2016

Prescription for a Better Life

Last week I wrote about the Power of a Smile. Did you know that smiling can change your life?

Frank Bettger, a major league ball player who turned to sales management after an injury, became famous for his inspirational speeches. He would ask people to promise to smile for 30 days.

Courtesy of Google.com
He said, "I have asked thousands of men and women in audiences all over the country for a pledge to smile, just for 30 days, their happiest smile at every living creature they see. Easily 75 percent of the people in each audience willingly raised theirs hands."

What was the result?

A letter from a man in Knoxville, Tennessee, is typical of several letters he received:

"My wife and I had just agreed to separate. Of course, I thought she was entirely at fault. Within a few days after I began to put the idea into action, happiness was restored in my home.

"I then came to realize that I had been losing out in business because of a sullen, losing attitude. At the end of the day, I would go home and take it out on my wife and children. It was all my fault, not my wife's at all.

"I am a totally different man from what I was a year ago. I'm happier because I've made others happy too. Now, everybody greets me with a smile. In addition, my business has shown surprising improvement."

This man was so excited about the results he got from smiling that he kept writing to Bettger about it for years.

Are there things in your life that aren't going as well as you would like? Perhaps you need to smile more too.

Centuries ago, the wise writer of the Book of Proverbs pointed out that

Courtesy of Pinterest .com

You may not feel like smiling, but if you do it anyway, your mood will catch up with that act of your will, and you will soon feel better. You can change your feelings by your actions.

Try it! It may be just the prescription you need to make your life better. I'd love to hear about your results.


I invite you to sign up in the column to the right to follow my blog and receive notification by email whenever I post a new message.


No comments:

Post a Comment